18 Grilled Cheese Sandwich Variations
source: Lynn Gardner
Nowadays, I either bake them in the oven or fry them in a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. I still get 95% of the yummy taste, but I save soooooo many calories!
How do I make up for the slight loss in flavor?
I add a delicious topping, spread or garnish for additional flavor.
Here are 18 yummy grilled cheese ideas to perk up your appetite. Enjoy each variation on it’s own, or try combining a few for extra taste.
- Drained sauerkraut
- Tomato slices and pesto
- Fresh herbs
- Sauteed onions
- Salsa and chopped scallions
- Cheese, tomato, thin onion slices, sprinkle of oregano and imitation bacon
- Just a sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Tomato slices and fresh basil leaves
- Onion, tomato and thinly sliced jalapeno pepper
- Cheese, imitation bacon and tomato on rye
- Sauteed garlic and grilled onions
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Curry powder mixed with just a dab of butter
- Chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika mixed with a smidge of butter
- Thin slices of green or red pepper, lightly sauteed
- Thin slices of red onion, raw
- Tomatoes and sliced olives
- Olive oil, crushed garlic, oregano and tomato slices (optional)
My favorite? Sourdough bread with tomato slices and chives. Delish!Pinterest!