20 Crafty Ways To Use Up Fabric Scraps
Grandma Toby always had a mountain of fabric scraps. Leftovers from sewing projects, hems cut off pants, recycled out of style skirts, old pillowcases; everything was added to the pile. If you have your own fabric scraps, here are 20 crafty uses for your excess of riches.
1. Make a patchwork quilt. Patchwork quilts were first designed to use up small, leftover pieces of fabric. Here is a simple quilt pattern from Moda Bake Shop
2. Create your own fabric collage. Fabric collages are part art and part craft. Speckled Nest offers some very basic instructions for fabric collages.
3. Stretch your creativity with artist trading cards or ATCs. ATCs are usually made of paper, but a few brave folks have started experimenting with fabric.
6. Throw together a couple of amazing fabric bookmarks. How About Orange has put together a short tutorial.
7. Stitch your own little accessories. Just a small rectangle of fabric can make several tiny purses.
8. Combine patterned or solid colored cotton with fabric appliques to make bibs. Bibs always make popular gifts for new parents.
9. Stretch your wardrobe by making removable embellishments. Just use any embellishment tutorial but instead of sewing it onto your clothing, attach the embellishment with a safety pin. Instructables has the how to’s for a flower.
10. Start wearing hats again. You can afford to when you sew your own. All you need is a 1/2 yard of stretchy fabric to make a beret.
11. Give a dash of color to your dining room with a new table runner. When made from patchwork, table runners are practically free.
14. Make some lovely holiday gifts for the seamstresses on your list. Pincushions can run the gamut from quick and easy to delightfully delicate.
15. Never damage your tables again. Instead, stitch a couple of cute little coasters using a free pattern from allsorts.
16. Glue scraps of fabric onto cardstock to make homemade greeting cards. The fabric adds a lot of interest to the finished project.
17. Save money by sewing your own felt slippers. Martha Stewart has an adorable pattern for slippers that can be adjusted to different foot sizes.
18. Remember, patchwork isn’t just for home decor. Check out these directions for a great looking skirt.
19. Wear glasses? How about sewing a Quilted Eyeglass Case?
20. Try your hand at a pillow. You won’t need more than a couple of inches of any one fabric scrap if you use a quilting technique.Pinterest!