Craft Link: Make Your Own Rug
My favorite technique?
Something easy. So for me, that would be either a crocheted rug or a sewn rug. I can’t wait to get started!
I love crocheted rugs. Try them with rug yarn, t-shirts torn into continuous strips, and long strips of bedsheets.
- Highland Fling Rug
- Round Crochet Rug
- Make An Upcycled Rug
- Rag To Rug Crochet
- Crochet Rug With Fringe
- Calico Crochet Rug
In case your not a crocheter, here are a couple of knit rugs to try out.
- Big Stitch Knit Rug
- Knit T-Shirts Into Rugs
- Woven Knit Rug
- Knit A Faux Grass Rug
- Chunky Seed Stitch Rug
I haven’t collected a lot of information on braided rugs from the internet because I own books on the subject. The books are The Illustrated Guide to Rug Braiding by Vera Cox and The Braided Rug Book by Norma Sturges.
- Round Braided Rug Tutorial
- Braided Rug From Towels
- N0-Sew Braided Rug Instructions
- Braided Rug From T-Shirts
- DIY Rectangular Braided Rug (pictured above)
RUGS FROM RUGS
All the rugs in this section are created from remnants, samples, doormats or inexpensive sisal.
- DIY Jute Rug Makeover
- DIY Painted Rug
- Rug From Carpet Squares
- How To Stencil A Rug
- Turn Area Rugs To Large Rug
- Dip-Dyed Throw Rug
The fact that I am not much of a painter does not stop me from dreaming.
- DIY Zebra Rug
- Stripe Painted Floorcloth
- Checked Floorcloth Tutorial
- Stenciled Vinyl Floorcloth
- Making Canvas Rugs
I love to sew and I always have tons of remnants that I am desperate to find a purpose for.
Hooked rugs are my sisters current favorite needlecraft. She makes only large ones and then gives most of them away. I am the current beneficiary. I recently received a 3×3 foot country scene done in wool strips.
- Rag Rug Step-by-Step
- T-shirt Latch Hook Rug (pdf)
- Rug Hooking Tutorial
- Rug Hooking Instructions
- Rug Hooking FAQ
Each of the penny rug patterns listed on this page are free. If you come across any other free patterns, please let me know, and I’ll add them to the post.
Penny Rug Patterns
- Wool Flower Table Topper
- Black Cat Applique Block
- Posy Table Runner (free membership)
- Hippity Hop Penny Rug Pattern
- Valentine Table Rug
- Free Snowflake Penny Rug Pattern
- Hexie Runner Tutorial
- Peach Penny Rug Pattern (free membership)
- Penny And Stars Pattern
- Penny Rug Table Runner
- Lake Street Penny Rug Pattern
Other Penny Projects (Not Rugs)
- How To Make A Felt Mobile
- Paper Penny Rug (no instructions)
- Penny Rug Pattern Magnets
- Penny Rug Pattern: Purse Tutorial
- Felt Penny Rug Wreath
- Penny Rug Patterns: Pincushions
- Easy Penny Ornament
- Penny Rug Bouquet (no instructions)
- Penny Rug Style Tea Towel
- Wool Penny Rug Pattern Coasters
- Make Penny Rug Style Rings (buttons)
Penny Rug Patterns: Tutorials
- How To Make A Penny Rug
- How To Make A Penny Rug Tutorial
- Traditional Penny Rug Tutorial
- What Are Penny Rugs? (history)
- American Penny Rug Tutorial
- Using A Sewing Machine
- The Making Of A Penny Rug
Penny Rug Patterns: Tips And Hints
- How To Stitch A Penny Rug Pattern
- Attaching Penny Rug Tongues
- Make Your Penny Rug Lie Flat
- How To Cut Pennies For A Penny Rug
- Decorating With Penny Rugs
- Penny Rugs And The Blanket Stitch
- The Makings Of A Penny Rug
- How To Assemble Self Backed Pennies
Penny Rug Patterns: Inspiration
- Pumpkin Penny Rug Mat
- Country Penny Rug
- Sugar Plums Penny Rug
- Classic Black 15 Pennies Rug
- Hexagon Penny Rug
- Cardinal Penny Rug Mat
- Buttons And Flowers Penny Rug
- Crow Penny Penny Rug Mat
- Circles And Pussycats Penny Rug
- Penny Rugs I Have Made
- Very Elaborate Penny Rug
Other Penny Rug Resources
- Google Image Results
- Wooly Buddies Yahoo Group
- Penny Rug Blog: Rugs And Pugs
- Penny Rug Blog: Cath’s Pennies
Penny Rug Patterns: Books
Description: To make the wood themed rug, take a plain green rug, made a couple of fabric mushrooms and hot glue them in place. Absolutely brilliant! Couldn’t you also try something like this with 3D flowers?
Craft Link: Woodland Inspired Rug Tutorial
Description: Turn old sheets into a rug using this tutorial. The sheets are cut into strips and then knit into a beautiful new accessory. If you would rather use new fabrics, just make sure your purchases are similar in weight to sheets.
Craft Link: Old Sheets Become A New Rug
Description: The Free Striped Rug Pattern allows you the opportunity to use up some of your scrap yarns. Free registration required to access pattern.
Craft Link: Free Striped Rug Pattern
Craft Link: Free Patchwork Runner Pattern
Description : After you learn to Sew A Rug From A Tea Towel, considering substituting other fabrics… the fabric from your curtains or tablecloth both may look nice as a rug.
Craft Link : DIY: Sew A Rug From A Tea Towel
Description: You can’t really tell from the photograph but this rug is a very nice size….36 inches x 48 inches.
Craft Link: Crochet A Desert Star Rug
Craft Link: Crochet A Taos Rug